Saturday 6 July 2013

3 Count Sombrada

Hi Guys,

Because it's difficult to catch the movements mid flow, here's a few stills illustrating each position of the 3 Count Sombrada.

 I inside sweep against the angle 1 attack, I will follow it with an angle 4 strike
 My partner retreats his leg, with a palm down drop stick to counter my angle 4
I roof block another angle 1 he hits with after his drop stick defense
 I attack with the angle 1 and my partner defends with the inside sweep and angle 4
I counter his angle 4 with a palm up drop stick, notice I don't have to retreat the leg in this variation
My partner roof blocks my angle 1 attack

Sombrada drills are flowing and continuous, much like a circle it becomes difficult to determine where it starts and ends. As you can see from these stills there are a few attack and counter attacks that repeat in a loop. Once you understand each shape and position it becomes easy to flow and determine how you can start a Sombrada drill as there is more than one way.

See you in class guys, Oss!

3 comments:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvPfdLY18Xc

    I found this footage of Remy Presas doing a '6 count' drill, which is just the 3count times 2.I thought that it was interesting how he shows how it can be used as an empty hand drill for panantukan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, wait a minute, I've just watched it all and there's loads more in there than I just posted. He goes on to demonstrate other stuff too. I was watching with one eye while I shovelled porridge into a baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GM Remy Presas and Modern Arnis have some great material from what I have seen. The video just goes to show the flexibility of the FMAs and the many parallels between different systems.

    Applying the drill to empty hands does have benefits and illustrates what I've before... that it's the hand that controls the stick, or weapon as it may be. Hence we hear of "the bladed hand".

    I hope you cleared up any spilled porridge and got more in than out!

    ReplyDelete