Wednesday 17 October 2012

Trip to Turkey

Last month during my trip to Turkey I was able to catch up with old friends and make new ones whilst sharing techniques and drills from the Filipino Martial Arts and Silat.


On Thursday 12th Sept I was asked to take Guru Galip Akdaş’ class and cover self defence applications from the South East Asian arts. We looked at making use of the elbow offensively and defensively against the wide right cross as well as to establish openings and control. We also worked clinch/grappling range in to the puter kapala.

Guru Galip and I had fun with some free flow and exchanged ideas on the different approaches and counters we used from different positions.


On Sunday 15th I met with friends new and old for a 4 hour session on Panantukan/Silat. We talked about the history, geographical region/landscape and cultures of the arts and looked at various techniques defending kicks, punches and over under tie ups. 

We drilled techniques to explore:
  • Low and mid level rear leg round kicks
  • Jab, cross counters
  • Puter kapala
  • Kenjit
  • Defending an attempt to counter the puter kapala with a single leg takedown 
  • Locks, ground finishes
  • Tehniques from over/under clinch







As is the case when you spend time with good friends you don’t want the time to end and I look forward to meeting with everyone again next year. It was a great trip and I was able to catch up with old friends and meet many new ones as we went for Turkish tea after each training session to talk about everything and anything to do with Martial Arts.

I would like to thank my friends for giving me an opportunity to share what little I know in the vast areas of Panantukan and Silat and hope they enjoyed it as much as I did.

I would like to extend my thanks especially to Guru Timur Ahenk, Sifu Seçkin Köknar, Guru Galip Akdaş, Sifu Kaan Ahyan, Sifu Adnan Erzen, Hamdi Çevik and Sensei Ömer Tamdogan, especially for his inquisitive questions that helped share extensions to techniques and their principles.

I look forward to future training sessions and cups of Turkish tea! 

Teşekkürler arkadaşlar, Osu!



No comments:

Post a Comment